- Lyric interpretation – a music video which responds specifically to the lyrics, if the lyrics are “we are sailing on a sea of love” what would you see?
- Exploring the meaning of the song – not strictly responding to the lyrics but interpreting the themes or “deeper” meaning behind the song.
- Involves researching the band and understanding the point behind the song.
- Allusion – a suggestive video which implies meaning or a “sub-text”.
- It might for instance seem to be innocent but actually be rude/sexual.
- Links to other artists – “Intertextuality”.
- Videos that reference other music videos, tv shows/films.
- Fans will recognise the reference within the music video.
- Cutting to the beat – rhythmic editing, visually reinforcing the “beat” of the song.
- Miming, playback and lip sync – carefully filmed sequence where either the artist or actor/characters appear to sing “in-sync” with the music. They mime the words as the song is played back.
- Camera movement/angles – high and low angles, swooping or dramatic movements. There are different expectations for each genre of music.
- Multi image – split screen, layered images or shots within shots.
- Visually impressive – sometimes to show different “layers” in the music.
- Effects/chroma key – slow motion, CGI superimposition.